Lost your password?

“Paws” And Take Steps To Keep Pets Safe From Electrical Hazards This Holiday Season

Every year thousands of pets around the country are given as gifts during the holiday season. If you are thinking about joining this tradition, please “paws” to prepare your home before bringing a furry friend home for the holidays.

Puppies and kittens are naturally curious and tend to turn unexpected household items into play or chew toys. A frisky dog or curious cat can cause an electrical hazard or fire in ways you may not have thought about. Safe Electricity offers this safety checklist:

  • Keep electrical cords away from puppies and kittens so they don’t chew on them and receive a severe shock. What may seem like a mild shock to an adult may be enough to kill a small pet. Cover the cord with a heavy plastic sleeve or ask your pet store for a bitter tasting product you could put on the cord.
  • Check to be sure nightlights and appliances are completely plugged into wall outlets. Small fingers, paws or tongues can easily find partially exposed prongs and are a hazard for curious children, puppies and kittens.
  • Halogen lamps should never be used in play areas. Halogen bulbs can reach very high temperatures, and if knocked over during play, could easily start a fire.
  • All appliances near sinks or bathtubs should be plugged into an outlet equipped with a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI). Playful pets can knock radios, curling irons and other items into the water, creating a dangerous situation. GFCIs stop the flow of electricity instantly if there is a problem, and when properly used, can save lives.
  • Do not allow pets to curl up for a nap behind warm computer equipment. They need to learn to stay away from all electrical connections.