Videos for kids
“Safe on the Bus”
Vehicles and downed lines
On an April morning in 2016, Clint Shults was driving a school bus to take students to an FFA competition. Heavy, wet snow had been accumulating, and the bus snagged a power line just as it was falling to the ground under the weight of the snow. “We started dragging power lines for the next at least 100 yards, and knew we were in pretty tough shape,” Clint says.Fortunately, Clint, dispatch, and first responders knew the right steps to take to keep everyone safe.
“Recognize, Respect, Report”
Outdoor electrical box safety
When Aaron and Brett Studer were young boys, they got into an electrical service box in their yard, and Aaron suffered second and third degree burns to his face. Fortunately there were no permanent scars. They want to help others stay safe. Recognize that these boxes contain electrical equipment. Respect the equipment and the boxes. Do not open, tamper with, or obstruct access to them. If there is any damage, such as a hole or broken lock, immediately report it to your utility.
“Lee and Ashley’s Story of Survival”
Auto accidents involving downed power lines
Each year, accidents in which motorists hit power poles have the potential to bring live power lines to the ground. Tragically, many drivers and passengers who survive the impact are electrocuted when they attempt to leave the vehicle. Helping drivers understand the right actions to take can save their lives. This video features the story of two teenagers who were in a car accident involving downed power lines. Because they had recently learned the right steps to take, they survived.
“Caught in a Storm”
On a hot, summer day Stephen Wald, his two boys and their friend found themselves caught in a terrifying thunderstorm. They ended up only seconds away from being in an accident with an overhead power line brought down by the storm. They encourage you to check weather forecasts so you can plan to stay inside when a storm threatens, seek safe shelter in an enclosed building or vehicle if caught in a storm, and to stay far away from any downed power lines.
Electric Shock Drowning (ESD)
The Ritz family was stunned when their son Lucas was killed while swimming with his life jacket on and being closely supervised by his mother. The danger could not be seen but was silently lurking in the water. Electricity was leaking into the water from a boat plugged in to shore power. Unfortunately, people are killed each year by what’s now known as electric shock drowning (ESD). The Ritz family wants others to learn how to avoid ESD and stay safe.