“Safe on the Bus”
Vehicles and Downed Lines
On an April morning in 2016, Clint Shults was driving a school bus to take students to an FFA competition. Heavy, wet snow had been accumulating, and the bus snagged a power line just as it was falling to the ground under the weight of the snow. “We started dragging power lines for the next at least 100 yards, and knew we were in pretty tough shape,” Clint says.Fortunately, Clint, dispatch, and first responders knew the right steps to take to keep everyone safe.
“Recognize, Respect, Report”
Outdoor Electrical Box Safety
When Aaron and Brett Studer were young boys, they got into an electrical service box in their yard, and Aaron suffered second and third degree burns to his face. Fortunately there were no permanent scars. They want to help others stay safe. Recognize that these boxes contain electrical equipment. Respect the equipment and the boxes. Do not open, tamper with, or obstruct access to them. If there is any damage, such as a hole or broken lock, immediately report it to your utility.
“Caught in a Storm”
On a hot, summer day Stephen Wald, his two boys and their friend found themselves caught in a terrifying thunderstorm. They ended up only seconds away from being in an accident with an overhead power line brought down by the storm. They encourage you to check weather forecasts so you can plan to stay inside when a storm threatens, seek safe shelter in an enclosed building or vehicle if caught in a storm, and to stay far away from any downed power lines.
Electric Shock Drowning (ESD)
The Ritz family was stunned when their son Lucas was killed while swimming with his life jacket on and being closely supervised by his mother. The danger could not be seen but was silently lurking in the water. Electricity was leaking into the water from a boat plugged in to shore power. Unfortunately, people are killed each year by what’s now known as electric shock drowning (ESD). The Ritz family wants others to learn how to avoid ESD and stay safe.
“Safety on the Line”
Overhead Power Line Safety
Gary Norland had worked as an equipment operator, lineman, foreman, and superintendent, when he started work at a local mill that produced its own electricity. One Friday afternoon, storms had gone through, and his crew was investigating outages. However, Gary and his co-workers were more focused on plans for the weekend than the job at hand. Gary leaned back and came into contact with 12,500 volts of electricity. He urges people to take the time to be safe both on the job and at home.
Underground Lines and Digging Safety
A small job had been added to the day’s directional boring work—after Tom Dickey’s safety gear had already been sent back to the shop. He made a decision in favor of time and efficiency instead of safety to go ahead and dig a 40-foot section of conduit. This decision almost cost him his life. As an experienced professional he knew all of the correct procedures, but while adjusting the conduit’s path in the ground, he made a small slip and received a high-voltage shock.
“Jim Flach’s Story”
Large Equipment and Power Line Safety
Jim Flach was a respected farmer, 4-H leader, and champion livestock showman who readily shared his knowledge with others. Tragically, a farm accident involving electricity claimed his life. His widow Marilyn and their three sons talk about the accident in which the crop sprayer Jim was operating came into contact with overhead lines. The video reminds large equipment operators to be aware of the presence of electric lines and provides advice on what to do if ever involved in a similar situation.
“Lee and Ashley’s Story of Survival”
Auto Accidents Involving Downed Power Lines
Each year, accidents in which motorists hit power poles have the potential to bring live power lines to the ground. Tragically, many drivers and passengers who survive the impact are electrocuted when they attempt to leave the vehicle. Helping drivers understand the right actions to take can save their lives. This video features the story of two teenagers who were in a car accident involving downed power lines. Because they had recently learned the right steps to take, they survived.
“Shawn Miller’s Story”
Overhead Power Line Safety
Shawn Miller was hanging Christmas lights at his mother’s house like he did every year, when tragedy stuck. As he was throwing a string of lights into a tree, it made contact with a power line. Shawn suffered 27 exit wounds, the loss of one hand, and a finger on another—but miraculously, he survived. Shawn and Safe Electricity urge people to spend time making themselves aware of their surroundings before working with or around items that use electricity, indoors and out.
“Caitlyn MacKenzie’s Story”
Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters (GFCIs)
Caitlyn MacKenzie had many dreams and a bright future. That future was shattered when she was tragically killed, electrocuted by contact with ordinary household electric current. She was only 12 years old. Her parents speak out in this video about the importance of electrical safety—particularly in making people aware of the importance of using ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs). Safe Electricity encourages the use of GFCIs outdoors around the home and inside the home near sinks and wet areas.
These videos are made possible by members of EEC-Safe Electricity. We appreciate their support in enhancing safety awareness and making these copyrighted videos viewable to individuals visiting SafeElectricity.org. For non-members interested in using these videos, please contact info@SafeElectricity.org. Use of this work without permission, including its reproduction, distribution, or display constitutes copyright infringement.